Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering Faculty at the University of Delaware
360H DuPont Hall
Newark, Delaware 19716
PhD | 2007 | Civil (Structural) Engineering. Georgia Institute of Technology
MS | 2002 | Civil Engineering, University of Delaware
BS | 2000 | Civil Engineering, University of Delaware
Monique Head, PhD, is a tenured Associate Professor and Associate Chair of the Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering at the University of Delaware. Dr. Head has more than 13 years of experience in higher education at both research and teaching-intensive institutions. She joined the Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering at the University of Delaware in 2018. She received her bachelor and master of civil engineering degrees from the University of Delaware in 2000 and 2002, respectively, and PhD in civil (structural) engineering with a minor in seismology from the Georgia Institute of Technology in May 2007.
Dr. Head specializes in bridge and earthquake engineering to solve problems related to: 1) seismic-resistant design and retrofit of reinforced concrete structures, 2) bridge load testing evaluation using digital image measurements, and 3) evaluating composite and advanced materials to enhance structural performance. The broader impact of her research includes refining structural design methodologies validated by large-scale experimental testing with particular focus on using composite materials for strengthening and repair of concrete structures.
She also serves in leading roles within the Transportation Research Board (TRB) Seismic Design and Performance of Bridges Committee (AKB50) and on the editorial board for American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Practice Periodical of Structural Design and Construction. She is also an affiliated member of the University’s Center for Innovative Bridge Engineering (CIBrE) and Delaware Center for Transportation (DCT). She has received several awards including an Outstanding Alumni Achievement Citation from the University of Delaware, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering and Outstanding Educator of the Year, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Maryland Section.
- Bridges for the Future
*= denotes grad/student co-author; **= postdoctoral researcher
- *Zebarjad, L., Yahyai, M., Head, M., and Shokouhian, M. (2020). “Toward Optimizing Dynamic Characteristics of non-conventional TMDs in multi degree of freedom systems,” Iranian Journal of Science and Technology Transactions of Civil Engineering, doi:10.1007/s40996-019-00338-z.
- Yahyai, M., *Zebarjad, L., Head, M., and Shokouhian, M. (2019). “Optimum Parameters for Large Mass Ratio TMDs Using Frequency Response Function,” Journal of Earthquake Engineering, 24(1): 1-20.
- *Chinaka, E., Shokouhian, M., Head, M., and Efe, S. (2019). “An Experimental Investigation of Bond Strength of AFRP Bars with Self-Consolidating Concrete,” Civil Engineering Design, 1(5-6): 148-160.
- **Shokouhian, M., Head, M., Seo, J., *Schaffer, W., and *Adams, G. (2019). “Hydrodynamic Response of a Semi-submersible Platform to Support a Wind Turbine,” Elsevier, Journal of Marine Engineering & Technology, 1-16.
- Seo, J., *Schaffer, W., Head, M., **Shokouhian, M., and Choi, E. (2018). “Integrated FEM and CFD Simulation for Offshore Wind Turbine Structural Response,” International Journal of Steel Structures, 1-13.
- *Efe, S., **Shokouhian, M., Head, M., and *Chinaka, E. (2017). “Numerical Study on the Cyclic Response of AFRP Reinforced Column with Externally Unbonded Energy Dissipaters,” Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, 14(2), 2018: 218-231.
- **Shokouhian, M., Shi, Y., Head, M. (2016). “Interactive Buckling Failure Modes of Hybrid Steel Flexural Members,” Elsevier, Engineering Structures, 125:153-166, https://www.sciencedirect.com/journal/engineering-structures/vol/125.
- *Pirayeh Gar, S., Mander, J., Head, M., and Hurlebaus, S. (2014). “FRP Slab Capacity Using Yield Line Theory,” J. Compos. Constr., 18(6).
- *Pirayeh Gar, S., Head, M., Hurlebaus, S., and Mander, J. (2014). “Experimental Performance of AFRP Concrete Bridge Deck Slab with Full-Depth Precast Prestressed Panels,” ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, 19(4), http://ascelibrary.org/doi/abs/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000559.
- *Pirayeh Gar, S., Head, M., and Hurlebaus, S. (2013). “Computational Modeling of the Flexural Performance of an AFRP Prestressed Girder with a Composite Bridge Deck,” ACI Structural Journal, 110(6), http://www.concrete.org/PUBS/JOURNALS/SJHOME.ASP.
- *Pirayeh Gar, S., Head, M., Hurlebaus, S., and Mander, J. (2013). “Comparative Experimental Performance of Bridge Deck Slabs with AFRP and Steel Precast Panels,” ASCE Journal of Composites for Construction, 17(6), http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CC.1943-5614.0000380.
- *Bisadi, V., Gardoni, P., and Head, M. (2013). “Decision Analysis for Elevating Bridge Decks with Steel Pedestals,” Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, 10(8), 1059-1067, http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15732479.2013.788523#.Ui5FHNLkvNo.
- *Bisadi, V., Gardoni, P., and Head, M. (2013). “Probabilistic Demand Models and Fragility Estimates for Bridges Elevated with Steel Pedestals,” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, 139(9): 1515-1528, September 2013, http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000741.