Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering Faculty at the University of Delaware
348 DuPont Hall
Newark, Delaware 19716
1983 | Ph.D | Carnegie Mellon University
1981 | Master | Carnegie Mellon University
1977 | B.E | University of New Castle
1975 | Bachelor | University of New Castle
Sue McNeil is a Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and the Biden School of Public Policy and Administration. She is also a core faculty member of the Disaster Research Center (DRC) at the University of Delaware (UD). She completed a B.Sc. (Mathematics) and B.E. (Civil Engineering) from University of Newcastle, Australia and a M.S. and Ph.D. (Civil Engineering) from Carnegie Mellon University. She joined the faculty at UD in 2005 and has served as Chair and DRC director. Prior to joining UD, she held faculty positions at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Carnegie Mellon University and University of Illinois at Chicago. She was an Erskine Fellow and visiting faculty member at the University of Canterbury in 2012 and a visiting faculty member at the University of New South Wales in 2017 and 2020.
Her research and teaching interests focus on transportation asset management. Her most recent research includes the impact of natural hazards and climate change on physical infrastructure and asset management with emphasis on resilience. Her work serves as a basis for policy and decision making in transportation asset management.
McNeil is a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers, Transportation Research Boards, WTS and American Society of Engineering Education. She is a Distinguished Member of the American Society of Civil Engineers, an Emeritus Member of the TRB Asset Management and a recipient of TRB’s Roy Crum Award and ASCE’s Frank Masters Award and Harland Bartholomew Award. She serves as Editor-in-Chief for ASCE’s Journal of Infrastructure Systems.
- Infrastructure Systems
- Risk Assessment
- McNeil, Sue, Susanne Trimbath, Farzana Atique and Ryan Burke, Editors, “Predictive Analytics for Infrastructure Performance”, Editors: Madjid Tavana and Kathryn Szabat and Kartikeya Puranam, Organizational Productivity and Performance Measurements Using Predictive Modeling and Analytics, IGI Global, 2017.
- Beiler, Michelle, Leylin Marroquin, and Sue McNeil, “State-of-the-Practice Assessment of Climate Change Adaptation Practices Across Metropolitan Planning Organizations Pre- and Post-Hurricane Sandy,” Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Volume 88, 163-174, 2016.
- Sánchez Gil, Juan Camilo, and Sue McNeil. “Supply Chain Outsourcing in Response to Manmade and Natural Disasters in Colombia, a Humanitarian Logistics Perspective.” Procedia Engineering 107 (2015): 110-121.
- Allen, Chester, Martha Averso, Carrie Hargreaves and Sue McNeil, “Guide for the Preservation of Highway Tunnel Systems,” NCHRP Report 816, 2015.
- Burke, Ryan, and Sue McNeil. Toward a Unified Military Response: Hurricane Sandy and the Dual Status Commander. Army War College Carlisle Barracks PA, Strategic Studies Institute, 2015.
- Dehghani, Mohammad Saied; Gerardo Flintsch; and Sue McNeil, “Impact of road condition and disruption uncertainties on network vulnerability,” Journal of Infrastructure Systems, Volume 20, Number 3, September 2014.
- Asset Management Benefit Assessment: Strategic Directions in Transportation, Daisuke Mizusawa and Sue McNeil, VDM Verlag Dr. Mueller e.K., Saarbrucken Germany, September 10, 2008.
- Oswald, Michelle and Sue McNeil, “Rating Sustainability: Transportation Investments in Urban Corridors as a Case Study,” to appear in Journal of Urban planning and Development in 2009.
- Nathman, Rachel, Sue McNeil, and Thomas VanDam, “Integrating Environmental Perspectives into Pavement Management: Adding PaLATE to the Decision Making Toolbox,” to appear in Transportation Research Record in 2009.
- Mizusawa, Daisuke and Sue McNeil, “A Generic Methodology for Evaluating the Net Benefit of Asset Management System Implementation,” Journal of Infrastructure Systems, September, 2009.
- Sanford Bernhardt, Kristen and Sue McNeil, “Agent-Based Modeling: An Approach for Improving Infrastructure Management,” Journal of Infrastructure Systems, Volume 14, Issue 3, pp. 253-261, September 2008.
- Barnum, Darold T Barnum, Sonali Tandon and Sue McNeil, “Comparing the Performance of Bus Routes After Adjusting for the Environment, Using Data Envelopment Analysis,” Journal of Transportation Engineering, Volume 134, Issue 2, pp. 59-109, February 2008
- Barnum, Darold, Sue McNeil and Jonathon Hart, “Comparing the Efficiency of Public Transportation Subunits Using Data Envelopment Analysis,” Journal of Public Transportation, Volume 10, No 2, 2007.
- Mizusawa, Daisuke, and Sue McNeil, “Synthesizing Experiences of Implementing Asset Management in the World: Lessons Leaned from Pavement Management Case Studies” “Transport Policy Studies Review” Vol.9 No.34, October 2006.
- Pagano, Anthony M., Sue McNeil and Elizabeth Ogard, “Linking Asset Management to Strategic Planning Processes: Best Practices from State DOT’s,” Transportation Research Record, No. 1924, pp 184-191, 2005.
- Hammerle, Meghan, Michael Haynes and Sue McNeil, “Use of Automatic Vehicle Location and Passenger Count Data to Evaluate Bus Operations for the Chicago Transit Authority,” Transportation Research Record, No 1903, pp 27-34, 2005.
- Buchheit, Rebecca, James H. Garrett, Jr, Sue McNeil, and Ping Chen, “An Automated Procedure to Assess Civil Infrastructure Data Quality: Method and Validation,” Journal of Infrastructure Systems, Vol 11., No 3., September 2005.
- Amekudzi, Adjo, Michael Garvin, Pannapa Herabat, Sue McNeil, and Kristen Sanford Bernhardt, “Teaching Civil Infrastructure Systems and Infrastructure Management,” presented at the International Workshop on Integrated Lifecycle of Infrastructures, Hong Kong, December 2004.
- McNeil, Sue, “Selecting Condition Data Collection Strategies based on Life Cycle Costs,” presented at the International Workshop on Integrated Lifecycle of Infrastructures, Hong Kong, December 2004.
- Chen, Ping, Rebecca Bari Buchheit, James H. Garrett, Jr, Sue McNeil, “WEB VACUUM: A Web-based Environment for Automated Assessment of Civil Infrastructure Data” Journal of Computing in Civil and Environmental Engineering, Volume 19, Issue 2, pp 137-147, April 2005.
- Herabat, Paisit and Sue McNeil, “Impact of RVSM Implementation on the Airport System Infrastructure,” Journal of Transportation Engineering, Volume 130, Issue 6, pp 716-724, November/December 2004.
- Norbert Delatte, Shen-en Chen, Nitin Maini, Neville Parker, Anil Agrawal, George Mylonakis, Kolluru Subramaniam, Akira Kawaguchi, Paul Bosela, Sue McNeil, Richard Miller, “Using NDE to Evaluate the Condition of Subway Tunnel Systems,” 3rd ASCE Forensics Congress, October 2003.
- Switzer, Aileen and Sue McNeil, “A Road Map for Transportation Asset Management Research,” Public Works Management and Policy, Volume 8, Number 3, January 2004, pp 162-175.