Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering Faculty at the University of Delaware
344A DuPont Hall
Newark, Delaware 19716
1992 | Ph.D | Princeton University
1988 | M.A | Princeton University
1986 | M.S | University of Wisconsin at Madison
1983 | B.S. | University of Cincinnati
Transport of fluids and contaminants in multiphase systems; mass transfer processes in soil and groundwater; sustainable landfilling; green stormwater treatment; mathematical modeling
- Environmental and Water Resources
* Indicates author was an undergraduate or graduate student advised by Dr. Imho.
- Yan, Y., Nakhli, S.A.A., Jin, J., Mills, G., Wilson, C.S., Legates, D.R., Manahiloh, K.N., and P.T. Imho (2021) Predicting the impact of biochar on the saturated hydraulic conductivity of natural and engineered media, Geoderma, in review.
- Saxena, S., Srivastave, P.K., Dentel, S.K.,Imho, P.T., and D. K. Cha (2021) Field demonstration of breathable laminate-lined container-based toilets in Kanpur, India, Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development, in press.
- Nakhli*, S.A.A., Tian, J., Jin*, and P.T. Imho (2021) Preparing and characterizing repacked columns for experiments in biochar-amended soils, MethodsX, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mex.2020.101205.
- Nakhli*, S.A.A., Goy*, S., Manahiloh, K.N., and P.T. Imho (2021) Spatial heterogeneity of biochar (segregation) in biochar-amended media: an overlooked phenomenon, and its impact on saturated hydraulic conductivity, Journal of Environmen- tal Management, DOI: 10.1016/j.jenvman.2020.111588.
- Nakhli*, S.A.A., and P.T. Imho (2020) Models for predicting water retention in pyrogenic carbon (biochar) and biochar-amended soil at low water contents, Water Resources Research, DOI: 10.1029/2020WR027726.
- Yi*, S., Chang*, N. Y., and P.T. Imho (2020) Predicting water retention of biocharamended soil from independent measurements of biochar and soil properties, Advances in Water Resources, DOI: 10.1016/j.advwatres.2020.103638.
- Tian, J., Jin, J., Chiu, P.C., Cha, D.K., Guo, M., and P.T. Imhoff (2019) A pilot-scale, bi-layer bioretention system with biochar and zero-valent iron for enhanced nitrate removal from stormwater, Water Research, DOI: 10.1016/j.watres.2018.10.030.
- Bakhshayesh, B.E., Imhoff, P. T., and S.K. Dentel (2018) Assessing clogging of laminated hydrophobic membrane during fecal sludge drying, Science of the Total Environment, DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.01.209.
- Taylor, D.M., Chow, F.K., Delkash, M., and P.T. Imhoff (2018) Atmospheric modeling to assess wind dependence in tracer dilution method measurements of landfill methane emissions, Waste Management, DOI: 10.1016/j.wasman.2017.10.036.
- Marzooghi, S., Shi, C., Dentel, S.K., and P.T. Imhoff (2017) Modeling Biosolids Drying Through a Laminated Hydrophobic Membrane, Water Research, DOI: 10.1016/j.watres.2016.12.049
- Taylor, D.M., Chow, F.K., Delkash, M., and P.T. Imhoff (2016) Numerical Simulations to Assess the Tracer Dilution Method for Measurement of Landll Methane Emissions, Waste Management, DOI: 10.1016/j.wasman.2016.06.040
- Tian, J., Miller, V., Chiu, P.C., Maresca, J.A., Guo, M., and P.T. Imhoff (2016) Nutrient Release and Ammonium Sorption of Poultry Litter and Wood Biochars in Stormwater Treatment, Science of the Total Environment, DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2016.02.129.
- Delkash, M., Zhou, B., Han, B., Chow, F.K., Rella, C.W., and Imhoff, P.T. (2016) Short-Term Landll Methane Emissions Dependency on Wind, Waste Management, DOI:10.1016/j.wasman.2016.02.009.
- Yazdani, R., Imhoff, P., Han, B., Mei, C., and D. Augenstein (2015) Quantifying Capture Efficiency of Gas Collection Wells with Gas Tracers, Waste Management, vol. 43, pp. 319-327, doi:10.1016/j.wasman.2015.06.032.
- Mei, C., Yazdani, R., Han, B., Mostafid, M.E., Chanton, J., VanderGheynst, J., and P.T. Imhoff (2015) Performance of Green Waste Biocovers for Enhancing Methane Oxidation, Waste Management, vol. 39, pp. 205-215, DOI:10.1016/j.wasman.2015.01.042.
- Yi, S., Witt, B., Chiu, P.C., Guo, M. and P.T. Imhoff, (2015) The Origin and Reversible Nature of Poultry Litter Biochar Hydrophobicity, Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 512-513, pp. 454-463, DOI:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2015.01.093.
- Wang, Y., Lin, Y., Chiu, P.C., Imhoff, P.T., and M. Guo, (2015) Phosphorus Release Behaviors of Poultry Litter Biochar as a Soil Amendment, Science of the Total Environment, vol. 512-513, 454-463, DOI:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2015.01.093.
- Saquing, J.M., Chanton, J.P., Yazdani, R., Barlaz, M.A., Scheutz, C., Blake, D.R., and P.T. Imhoff, (2014) Assessing Methods to Estimate Emissions of Non-methane Organic Compounds From Landfills, Waste Management, vol. 34, no. 11, pp. 2260-2270, DOI:10.1016/j.wasman.2014.07.007.
- Akhavan, M, Imhoff, P.T., Andres, A.S., and S. Finsterle, (2013) Model Evaluation of Denitrification Under Rapid Infiltration Basin Systems, Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, vol. 152, p. 18-34, DOI: 10.1016/j.jconhyd.2013.05.007.
- Farthing, M.W., Seyedabbasi, M.A., Imhoff, P.T., and C.T. Miller, (2012) Influence of Porous Media Heterogeneity on NAPL Dissolution Fingering and Upscaled Mass Transfer, Water Resources Research, W08507, DOI:10.1029/2011WR011389.
- Mostafid, M.E., Shank, C., Imhoff, P.T., and R. Yazdani, (2012) Gas Transport Properties of Compost Woodchip and Green Waste for Landfill Biocovers and Biofilters, Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 191, pp. 314-325.
- Akhavan, M., P.T. Imhoff, S. Finsterle, and A.S. Andres, (2012) Application of a Coupled Overland Flow Vadose Zone Model to Rapid Infiltration Basin Systems, Vadose Zone Journal, vol. 11, p. vzj2011.0140.
- Jung, Y. Han, B., Mostafid, M.E., Yazdani, R., and P.T. Imhoff, (2012) Photoacoustic Infrared Spectroscopy for Conducting Gas Tracer Tests and Measuring Water Saturations in Landfills, Waste Management, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 297-304.
- Jung, Y. Imhoff, P.T., and S. Finsterle, (2011) Estimation of Landfill Gas Generation Rate and Gas Permeability Field of Refuse Using Inverse Modeling, Transport in Porous Media, vol. 90, pp. 41-58.
- Han, B., Scicchitano, V., and P.T. Imhoff, (2011), Measuring Fluid Flow Properties of Waste and Assessing Alternative Conceptual Models of Pore Structure, Waste Management, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 445-456.
- Yazdani, R., Mostafid, M.E., Han, B., Imhoff, P.T., Chiu, P., Augenstein, D., Kayhanian, M., and G. Tchobanoglous, (2010), Quantifying Factors Limiting Aerobic Degradation During Bioreactor Landfilling, Environmental Science&Technology, vol. 44, no. 16, pp. 6215-6220.
- Sondhi, A., Imhoff, P.T., Dentel, S.K., and H.E. Allen (2010) , Assessment of Methods for Collecting Fallout Brake Pad Wear Debris for Environmental Analysis, Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part A, vol. 45, No. 2, pp. 239-249.
- Jung, Y., Imhoff, P.T., Augenstein, D.C., and R. Yazdani (2009), Influence of High-Permeability Layers for Enhancing Landfill Gas Capture and Reducing Fugitive Methane Emissions from Landfills, Journal of Environmental Engineering, vol. 135, No. 3.
- Seyedabbasi, M.A., Farthing, M.W., Imhoff, P.T., and C.T. Miller (2008), The Infuence of Wettability on NAPL Dissolution Fingering, Advances in Water Resources, vol.31, pp. 1687-1696.
- Imhoff, P.T., Reinhart, D.R., Englund, M., Gurin, R., Gawande, N., Han, B., Jonnalagadda, S., Townsend, T., and R. Yazdani (2007), Methods for Measuring Liquid in Bioreactor Landfills- A Critical Review, Waste Management, vol. 27, pp. 729-745.
- Han, B., Imhoff, P.T., and R. Yazdani (2007), Field Application of Partitioning Gas Tracer Test for Measuring Water in a Bioreactor Landfill, Environmental Science&Technology, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 277-283.
- Han, B., Jafarpour, B., Gallagher, V.N., Imhoff, P.T., Chiu, P.C., and D. Fluman (2006), Measuring Seasonal Variations of Moisture in a Landfill with the Partitioning Gas Tracer Tests, Waste Management, vol. 26, pp. 344-355
- Li, L., and P.T. Imhoff (2005), Water Saturation Measurement by Gas Tracers in Unsaturated Porous Media – Effect of Mass Transfer Limitations, Vadose Zone Journal, vol. 4, pp. 1107-1118.
- Jafarpour, B., P.T. Imhoff and P.C. Chiu (2005), Mathematical Modeling of 2,4-Dinitrotolune Reduction with High-Purity and Cast Iron, Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, vol. 76, pp. 87-107.
- Imhoff, P.T., and K. Pirestani, (2004) Influence of Mass Transfer Resistance on Detection of Nonaqueous Phase Liquids with Partitioning Tracer Tests, Advances in Water Resources, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 429-444.
- Imhoff, P.T., A. Jakubowitch, M.L. Briening, and P. Chiu (2003), Partitioning Gas Tracer Tests for Measuring Water in Municipal Solid Waste, Journal of the Air&Waste Management Association, vol. 53, pp. 1391-1400.
- Imhoff, P.T., M.W. Farthing, and C.T. Miller (2003), Modeling NAPL Disssolution Fingering with Upscaled Mass Transfer Rate Coeffcients, Advances in Water Resources, vol. 26, no. 10, pp. 1097-1111.
- Imhoff, P.T., K. Pirestani, Y. Jafarpour, and K.M. Spivey (2003), Tracer Interaction Effects During Paritioning Tracer Tests for NAPL Detection, Environmental Science&Technology, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 1441-1447.
- Imhoff, P.T., K. Pirestani, Y. Jafarpour, and K.M. Spivey (2003), Tracer Interaction Effects During Paritioning Tracer Tests for NAPL Detection, Environmental Science & Technology, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 1441-1447.
- Imhoff, P.T., A.L. Sawicki, M. Mercer, and M. Fitzpatrick (2003), Scaling DNAPL Migration from the Laboratory to the Field, Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, vol. 64, p. 73-92.