UD affiliates: General chemicals (acids, bases, and solvents) and general lab supplies will be provided. The users are responsible for preparation of calibration standards, purchase of specialty chemicals required for a particular application, and instrument supplies and gases required for the operation of a particular instrument. i.e. vials, size and zeta potential measurement cells, HPLC and GC columns, and etc. If a user fails to provide these, an additional supply charge may apply.
- All UD users must have up to date EHS training records. The two required safety trainings are Advanced Chemical Hygiene and Right-to-Know, and Chemical waste disposal. They are available online at UDEHS website. These are minimum safety trainings that are required to obtain access to our facilities. Based on the type of research you may be required to take additional training.
Non UD affiliates: Please contact Lab Manager, Yu Han Yu, for more information.
All users must strictly adhere to the University of Delaware safety policies and wear appropriate attire while operating instruments in our lab. Please consult UDEHS website for laboratory dress code and safety requirements
Examples of the tests performed in the Environmental testing Lab are shown here:
- Dissolved and total metal analysis by ICP-MS or ICP-OES
- Dissolved solids analysis by Ion Chromatography
- Volatile organic compounds analysis by GC-MS
- Total solids, total suspended solids, and total volatile suspended solids
- pH, conductivity, COD, BOD, and TOC
- Total, organic, and inorganic nitrogen.
- Total, organic, and inorganic phosphorus
Additional analytical and sample processing services are available to meet the needs of professionals both within and outside of the University community. Please contact us for a more complete list of services.
Click on the name of the equipment to go to the online reservation calendar
- Inductively Coupled Plasma with Optical Emission Spectrometer (ICP-OES, Perkin Elmer/Model 7300DV)
- Inductively Coupled Plasma with Mass Selective Detector (ICP-MS, Agilent/Model 7500C)
- Gas Chromatograph with Mass Selective Detector (GC-MS, Agilent/Model 5890N)
- Zeta Potential and Particle Size Analyzer (Malvern/Model Zetasizer Nano ZS)
- Ion Chromatograph (IC, Thermo/Model ICS1100)
- Total Organic Carbon Analyzer (TOC Analyzer, Teledyne Tekmar/Model Apollo 9000HS)
Contact us to arrange training and access to our facilities
If I need to use the ICP-MS, what arrangements do I need to make?
- Make sure your safety training records are up to date. See here for minimum safety training requirements.
- Contact us to schedule a training.
- Reserve the ICP using the online calendar.
- Prepare calibration standards and samples. Calibration standards can be purchased from the vendor or, if you have high purity reagents, they can be prepared in lab.
- You are responsible for purchasing consumables such as sample vials and gases.
General public and commercial entities:
- Contact us to get shipping information and details.
I need a specific GC column to analyze some volatile organic compounds in my sample. Will you provide this column?
The column that is normally installed in the GC-MS is HP-5MS. To use a different column, you will need to purchase it. Please consult the lab manager to identify the right column for your application.