Harry (Tripp) Shenton III
360E DuPont Hall
Newark, Delaware 19716
Phone: (302) 831-2447
1990 | Ph.D | Johns Hopkins University
1984 | Master | University of Delaware
1982 | Bachelor | University of Delaware
Shenton’s areas of research focus include (1) structural health monitoring and condition assessment of civil infrastructure, and (2) innovative systems and materials for low-rise construction. He has received external funding from the National Science Foundation, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the Federal Highway Administration, NIST, the Delaware Department of Transportation, the University of Delaware Research Foundation, and industry. In 1999 he received the prestigious National Science Foundation Faculty Early Career award. Shenton is an affiliated member of the University’s Center for Innovative Bridge Engineering, Center for Composite Materials, and Delaware Center for Transportation.
- Bridges for the Future
- Environmental and Water Resources
- Sparacino, M., Shenton, H., and Weykamp, P. (2018) “Compression Set in Closed-Cell Foam Bridge Expansion Joints,” ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, 23(1), pp 04017122-1-10
- Kadivar M.*, Manahiloh K.N., Kaliakin V., and Shenton H.W. (2017). “Relative assessment of dynamic load allowance for buried box culverts from field testing, two-dimensional, and three-dimensional finite element analyses.” Journal of Transportation infrastructure geotechnology, 5(1): 24-41, DOI: 10.1007/s40515-017-0045-7.
- Wells A.*, Shenton H.W., Manahiloh K.N., and Wenczel G. (2017). “Dynamic load allowance provisions for box culverts with low fill depth.” Journal of Transportation infrastructure geotechnology, 5(1): 42-58, DOI: 10.1007/s40515-017-0046-6.
- Shenton III, H.W., Al-Khateeb, H.T., Chajes, M.J., and Wenczel, G. (2017) “Indian River Inlet Bridge (Part A): Description of the Bridge and The Structural Health Monitoring System,” Bridge Structures, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 3-13.
- Shenton III, H.W., Al-Khateeb, H.T., Chajes, M.J., Wenczel, G., Arndt, J., and Stevens, C. (2017) “Indian River Inlet Bridge (Part B): Lessons Learned from the Design, Installation and Operation of the Structural Health Monitoring System,” Bridge Structures. Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 15-24.
- McConnell, J., Shenton, H., and Mertz, D. (2016) “Performance of Uncoated Weathering Steel Bridge Inventories: Methodology and Gulf Coast Region Evaluation”, ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, Vol. 21 (12).
- McConnell, J., Shenton III, H.W., Mertz, D.R., and Kaur, D. (2014) “National Review on Use and Performance of Uncoated Weathering Steel Highway Bridges,” ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, Vol. 19, No. 5.
- McConnell, J.; Shenton, H.; Mertz, D.; and Kaur, D. (2014). “Performance of Uncoated Weathering Steel Highway Bridges Throughout the United States”, Transportation Research Record, Issue 2406, 61-67.
- Shenton, H., Carson, P.D., Chajes, M.J., O’Shea, D., and Kursinsky, C., (2010), “Delaware’s Indian River Inlet Bridge: a comprehensive plan for long-term structural monitoring,” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 2201, pp. 148-153.
- Dinehart, D. W., Blasetti, A. S, and Shenton III, H. W. (2008) “The Experimental Performance of Viscoelastic Gypsum Connections and Shear Walls,” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 134, No. 1, January, pp. 87-95.
View Full CV